"Vermonters have a proud tradition of military service. When our brave Vermont service members return home, we have a solemn obligation to ensure that their transition is successful. The cost of war must include the cost of caring for the warrior -- including health care, mental health services, job training, and the full range of family support services."
- Fought for historic increases in the Veterans Administration budget;
- Authored bipartisan legislation to expand the groundbreaking Vermont National Guard outreach program;
- Passed legislation to expand nationwide a Vermont program that helps returning veterans start businesses in their communities;
- Co-authored the law that is providing tax credits to employers who hire recently returned veterans; and
- Increased funding for permanent housing and support services for homeless veterans.