“The rising level of federal debt is a threat to America’s long term economic vitality. Congress and the President must set aside partisan differences and come up with a balanced debt-reduction plan. Everything should be on the table, including the defense budget, revenues, tax loopholes, discretionary spending, and entitlements.”
- Is a founding member of a bipartisan House working group working towards a comprehensive and balanced debt reduction plan;
- Authored “pay as you go” law which requires that new federal programs be paid for through budget cuts and/or revenue increases;
- Supports presidential line item veto authority;
- Led the House effort to stop the financial default of the federal government;
- Introduced legislation to save taxpayers and seniors $160 billion through the negotiation of lower prescription drug prices for Medicare recipients;
- Opposes taxpayer subsidies for the oil, nuclear and ethanol industries.